If you attended the meeting Saturday then you know our membership has grown to over 200 modern quilters! It's exciting to see so many people interested in quilt making and we're looking forward to getting to know all of you. Check out September's meeting highlights.
- Details of local and online events:
City Sewing Room: T-shirt Quilt Class, Thurs. Oct. 13-Nov. 3 5:30-8:00pm
PerennialSTL: T-shirt Totes + More, Thurs. Sept. 22, 6pm - 8pm
Intro to Embroidery, Sat. Sept. 24, 10am - 1pm
Jackman’s: Many upcoming quilting and quilting adjacent classes.
Alison Glass/Giucy Giuce Mini Series SAL begins September 1.
Quiltober 2022 with Nicholas Ball (@quiltsfromtheattic) begins October 3. Details on his Instagram page.
Do you know of some quilty fun? Be sure to share it in our Facebook group or Instagram page.
- We went over the current guild balance. More details can be found in the member drive or speak to the treasurer.
- Our current membership numbers are 205 guildies. WOW!! If you're not a member yet, learn how to join HERE. We love hearing from members, any ideas or suggestions for the guild. Please pass your thoughts along to the board.
- Announcements and Reminders:
- Cathy Jones has decided to step down as president at the end of December. We're grateful for her service to the guild.
- Octavia Pitts will step down as Secretary to run for the remainder of Cathy's term.
- All positions are therefore open and any member who has been in the guild at least one year is eligible to run for office.
- Board elections will be held at the November meeting. Candidates will be announced in October. Please contact Lilo if you are interested in running.
- Pam Weske and Annamaria Lu have formed an independent group to create a charity quilt for QuiltCon in the warm colorway. Let them know if you're interested in joining the fun.
- The folks at the Midwest Fiber Festival have invited our members to be a part of their event next spring. Look HERE for more details.
- NO GUILD MEETING IN OCTOBER!!
Activity: A Quilter's Guide to Graphic Design
Rebecca from Bryan House Quilts joined us on Saturday and walked us through the nine elements of graphic design and how we can use these concepts in our quilt designs. Using her own vibrant quilts as examples of each idea, members were given tangible visuals for the abstract aspects of graphic design. Bonus, she rejoined our guild so you can expect to see more of her in the future. Thank you Rebecca!
- SewMe STL
- All current details can be found HERE. We will continue to update as information becomes available.
- We need volunteers to greet attendees. Sign up HERE.
- Raffle donations are appreciated and can be given to Jennifer Deck, Susan Muszynski, and Jessica Elliston.
- QuiltCon Charity Quilt
- Packets with fabric included were distributed during the meeting.
- Foundation Paper Piecing tutorials can be found HERE and HERE.
- Blocks can be returned as soon as you finish, at SewMe, or by November's meeting at the latest.
- Example of finished quilt:
- Swap and Challenge
- Fabric Placement blocks are due at the November meeting.
- There may be some prizes, although this is not a contest.
- Official rules can be found HERE.
- Members can follow this path in the Google Drive to find instructions for the blocks: STLMQG Members > Swap/Challenge > 2022
- Charity Committee
- The committee has begun to collect charity quilts and will continue to do so through our November meeting and the SewMe retreat.
- Please attach "STL MQG Cares" label to each quilt.
- The committee has created a comprehensive document in the member drive full of pattern suggestions for those wanting to go a different route then the kit patterns. Quilt parameters are HERE.
- There is still time to complete a quilt for The Women's Safe House and invite you to help us reach our goal.
- Interesting volunteer opportunities have presented themselves at The Women's Safe House. Please see Tess or Candy for more details.
Other Items Covered
- Home Sew Happy Hour: Jump on Zoom September 20 from 6-9pm and get to know other guild members better.
- This is a casual event where you can come and go as you please.
- Some members have expressed interest in doing this event in person again and are welcome to do so. Let the board know your plans and we'll publicize on social media.
- Block of the Month Winners: Have you joined in the Block of the Month sampler quilt party yet? It's been so fun seeing everyone's take on Instagram. For all the info look HERE. It's not too late to jump in.
- Christine Taour is our winner for August.
- September BOM: Speaking of the block of the month, the next tutorial is live on the blog and we're taking on improv curves. Em takes you through all the steps HERE.
- Post to Instagram using #stlmqgbom or email a photo before our next meeting to be entered for a prize.
- Fabric Raffle: Thanks to Cotton Cuts we gave away two FQ bundles of Sublime Summer from Free Spirit fabrics to Ann Philiph and Kristina Olson. Hooray!
- Hotel Room Raffle: Angie Terry and Carol Taylor each won a one night stay at the Marriott during our Sew Me retreat. Congratulations!
- Show and Share: Our meeting and presentation ran long and we were sorry to miss show and share this month. We will post photos of Rebecca Bryan's quilts this month and hope you will bring your beautiful pieces to the next meeting. Pics are being posted to our Instagram and Facebook pages. Join us there to see pictures of quilts that were shared, and to stay up to date on what's to come this year!